Tabbyblog

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Fruit and the loom!

















My second blog of the week!! and I've been busy.

While at woolfest,I started spinning with baby camel/silk fibres, as some of you may remember.


I chose it mainly because I liked the colour, and the idea of making something out of baby camel fibre, but it has inspired me all 27g's of it. It spun so fine and the handful of fibres seemed to go on for ages.




I decided to make a small sample using a weaving pattern from my newly purchased 'Lace weave' book. I was aware that if I used the yarn as a single ply it would slightly distort the finished fabric, so I wanted to try this out.





Thursday morning the sun was shining,and I felt the need to be out in the fresh air(having been house bound all week) so I went to the allotment. I had to hack through the weeds but I was delighted to find my red currant bush was full of fruit (muffin bush season is over!!!) and took home 5lbs of fruit.

which I made into Red currant and rosemary jelly
Then made little hats for them!!!
As I was doing this I was also finishing of my woven sample, which ended up being long enough for a scarf, I was so pleased with it, the lace weave created a delicate fabric with a beautiful drape, it shows off the soft shine of the hand spun yarn.
What a productive week!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger artyfartykat said...

You've been busy!
The scarf looks absolutely gorgeous, Becky, you'll have to bring it so we can all have a feel!
The jelly looks fab, not a bad haul from the allotment. Did you get stoned by the fellow allotment holders? ;) The weeds in our veggie garden are horrendous, so I know how you feel!
Pleased you had a brill birthday, I can taste those fish n chips, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

10:49 AM  
Blogger acrylik said...

Oh wow, your scarf is absolutely amazing. Hope you bring it along next Monday, I would love to see it.
The jelly looks absolutely delicious! And I love the little fabric tops.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

My you have been busy. I love that woven scarf and the colour is lush. Great looking jelly too , I see a colour theme here :)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home